Friday, October 17, 2008

Dreaming New Mexico

Once again, I have the incredible privilege of working with Google Earth
Outreach partners on a 20% project. This weekend, our latest efforts debut at the Bioneers Conference in San Rafael, CA. I've worked on the Dreaming New Mexico initiative, which seeks to encourage the future adoption of clean power generation and to move New Mexico away from the terrible legacy of dirty, polluting power plants. Using the Google Earth plugin, Javascript and KML, I've co-created a presentation that describes the choices available to New Mexicans as they decide what future they want.

I had several objectives working on this. Of course, I very much believe in the mission of Dreaming New Mexico, but I also wanted to create a non-profit presentation that moves compelling content outside of placemark balloons and into web pages. In this way, the Google Earth plugin serves as a visual aid to other exciting content that resides on web pages, outside of Google Earth. In short, I was hoping to turn the usual KML content model inside out and provide an example to the world of this approach.

Related:

No comments: